5th Judicial District Courts Return to In-Person Operations – Plan Summary
(Phase I) To Commence Monday, May 18, 2020 & Wednesday May 20, 2020
Good News! All Counties in the 5th Judicial District (Herkimer, Lewis, Jefferson, Oneida, Onondaga & Oswego) have met established benchmarks warranting the first phase of a return to more in-person operations. Throughout this public health crisis, the courts have always remained open and, while limiting foot traffic, have continued to hear Essential Matters.
Over the past several weeks, courts have been steadily increasing cases handled virtually and have worked hard to clear up existing pending matters. Thanks to the dedication and hard work of our remarkable judges and court staff, we are ready to begin Phase I of the Return to In-Person Operations.
We will begin a flexible, measured and steady return to in-person operations commencing on May 18, 2020. We will continue to ensure the safety of all who enter the Courthouses – Judges, Staff and the Public by assuring that appropriate safety measures are followed.
Judges and Chambers Staff in Oneida and Herkimer Counties will return to their courthouses commencing Monday, May 18, 2020.
Judges and Chambers Staff in Onondaga, Oswego, Jefferson and Lewis Counties will return to their courthouses commencing Wednesday, May 20, 2020.
• Use of appropriate PPE and social distancing is required.
• Security personnel will ensure proper PPE (masks, hand sanitizer, wipes) and spatial distancing for all members of the public who enter the courthouse.
• Employees shall be provided masks and gloves and maintain social distancing at all times. Special provisions will be made for vulnerable employees.
• On May 18, 2020, the Courts will begin accepting filings by electronic means in new matters.
On May 25, 2020, the Courts will begin accepting paper filings in new matters, if otherwise permitted.
• All County and City Courthouses in Oneida, Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Onondaga and Oswego Counties will be open and staffed.
• County Courthouse operations will continue as they are presently.
• Town & Village Court Justices and Clerks may return to work in their courthouses handling clerical and other Chambers matters, provided their municipality provides appropriate PPE and social distancing is maintained.
• Although Town & Village Courts will be open, there will be no calendars or formal court proceedings at this time and foot traffic will not be encouraged.