Man arrested on numerous charges after dragging trooper with his vehicle

SYRACUSE, NY — On Dec. 18, 2018, at approximately 7:06 p.m., Troopers assigned to the “Syracuse Initiative” in the City of Syracuse, conducted a traffic stop on a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck in the parking lot of the Syracuse Upstate Market, located at 124 Merriman Avenue.

The operator, Shaun H. Clark, was unable to produce a driver’s license or any sort of valid identification and was visibly nervous, police said.

Troopers asked Clark to exit the vehicle.  As they began to search Clark, he abruptly ran and re-entered his vehicle.  He then sped forward, dragging Trooper Andrew Skerpon with him.  The vehicle struck the building in front of the pickup truck, and then backed up striking a marked State Police vehicle, pinning Trooper Skerpon between the two vehicles.  Mr. Clark fled the scene.  Troopers began to a traffic pursuit which ended on Niagara Street when Mr. Clark struck a fence and fled on foot.   Troopers Skerpon and Burdick, with the assistance of officers from Syracuse Police Department, took Mr. Clark into custody after a brief foot pursuit.

Mr. Clark, who actively resisted arrest, sustained lacerations to his face and shoulders.

He was transported Upstate University Hospital, where he was treated and released.

Shaun H. Clark, age 31, from 2 Woodruff Place, Auburn, NY, was charged with the following:

  •  Assault on a Police Officer, a class “C” felony

  • Criminal Mischief 2nd degree, a class “D” felony

  • Reckless Endangerment 2nd degree, a class “A” misdemeanor

  • Resisting Arrest, class “A” misdemeanor

  • Unlawful Fleeing a Police Officer 3rd degree, a class “A” misdemeanor

  • Obstructing Governmental Administration 2nd degree, a class “A” misdemeanor

  • Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance 7th degree, a class “A” misdemeanor

Clark was transported to the Onondaga County Justice Center for centralized arraignment.

Trooper Skerpon was transported by ambulance to Upstate University Hospital where he was treated and released.